Thursday, April 7, 2011

One Man Band


Unless a photographer has a house full of staff, relatives, kids or significant other's running around the photo studio, ( or in my case the garage and basement) one has to be resourseful to find suitable "models" to set-in while the photographer tries out some new lighting techniques, practices lighting set-ups or other creative trail-and-error experiments.

For "One Man Band" gunners lke me, I am normally the only person hangin' around during the day when I have time set aside for practice and experimentation. So, thanks to the tripod and a "just long enough" shutter release cable, I end up being the subject for my set-ups. I't not that I want to have a huge portfolio of self portraits, it's just that our dog Gracie's a little bit tired of having the flash popped in her face all the time. I'm a ways away from being a small flash wizard like "Mr. Strobist" David Hobby - http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ or Joe McNally - www.joemcnally.com/blog. My setups and exposures make me feel more confident so when I have an actual client in front of my lens, I will "appear" to know just what the heck I'm doing!

So to get ready for this weekend's senior portrait session and some future work with our local medical center, I've been playing around. Here's a "practice shot" using up to two Nikon SB Speedlights and various light modifiers. I'm just starting to put some effort into developing a "style" for my images. I know my way of "seeing" and my "street shooter" approach to photojournalism is totally different than any of the other photographers in the area. So, I'm counting on that, with a little help from my Speedlights, to set me apart for the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment