Monday, April 18, 2011

On Location "Kick of Light"


I had the wonderful opportunity to shoot some portraits this past week...a High School Senior session and a corporate session for our local Mayo Health Systems medical center. The hospital job kinda surprised me, since I had just sent off an introduction e-mail and link to my website when I got a call to shoot some portraits for a Hosptial Foundation publication.

To be honest these two sessions were the first time in a while that I hauled lighting gear, stands and the like out on location.

But compared to images I might have brought back several years, ('Available light is KING' kind of thinking) these new images have a lot more interest and quality of light to them. As I continue to work in and outdoors with my strobes, I hope to begin developing a "Style" to my images. Back in my newspaper photog days, I always felt that my work was different from other shooters, since I loved bringing back the "in-your-face" action and emotion photos.

It has become very clear to me that with the addition of a 'kick of light' my images are maturing, so to speak and I can begin to tell a story with the light, or just add that little "something" that makes the photo a touch better.

My newest "best friend" is the recently purchased Manfretto "Justin Super Clamp" for my Speedlights. I used the clamp on the hosptial shoot to put a second light into the mix without having to drag out another light stand.


No comments:

Post a Comment