Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Contrasts


I’ve mentioned before how impressed I am with the mammoth grain structures that tower above the midwestern landscape. Driving around Des Moines, Iowa recently looking for interesting “stuff” to photograph, I found this silo facility along the mostly unused Norfolk and Southern rail yard. I love to show contrasts in my images and this one has several. I love the “large and small” aspect of the modest brick building along the railroad tracks contrasted with the massive silos in back. I also like the white washed paint of the small structure in contrast with the weathered concrete elevator silos. The other interesting element that I really didn’t notice until doing a post-shooting edit is the left window on the brick building has a very bright, yellow shade behid the glass contrasted to the plain, dark window on the right. The small building itself would have made a fun picture, but placing it in contrast with the huge silos adds some punch.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe,

    I was wondering if you might have any further photos of the grain silos? I and a few colleagues are working on an architectural competition and were wondering if you could supply us with a few more images.. you would of course receive full representation of your photos.

    thanks
    Josh

    ReplyDelete